I couldn't possibly let October zip by without enjoying a bowl of yummy pumpkin 'n' spice porridge! To my regular bowl of porridge I simply added a few tablespoons of pumpkin purée, a sprinkling of cinnamon/pumpkin spice blend and then sweetened to taste.
You may use homemade pumpkin purée if you happen to have it on hand. If not, most brands of canned pumpkin purée will work quite well. I purchase canned pumpkin purée, which is pure pumpkin. (If all you have is canned pumpkin pie filling, however, because it contains added sugar, spices and other ingredient, you will need to omit the sugar and spices suggested in the recipe.)
I used spice-infused maple syrup but you could use regular maple syrup, maple sugar or any other sweetener that you prefer. If you add a garnish of seasonal fruit and berries as I did, these additions will also add sweetness with every spoonful..
Enjoy a warm, spicy taste of autumn with every spoonful!
PUMPKIN 'N' SPICE PORRIDGE
The perfect comfort food for a chilly fall morning! Enjoy a warm, spicy taste of autumn with every spoonful!
AUTHOR: Beverley Noseworthy,
MEAL: Breakfast & brunch
DIETARY INFO: FODMAP friendly, gluten free, peanut free, refined sugar free, vegan
FOR THE PORRIDGE
FOR GARNISHING (Optional)
STOVETOP METHOD FOR COOKING PORRIDGE
(If you prefer, you may use the microwave directions on the product package. I often choose this method when preparing a single serving.)
1. Add water and almond beverage to a small, uncovered saucepan. Heat on stovetop.
2. Gradually stir the oats into the boiling water.
3. Lower heat and cook oats, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
4. Add the pumpkin purée (plus the ground flaxseed and protein powder, if desired) to the oats and stir well.
5. Place the cover on the saucepan and remove it from the heat.
6. Let stand for a few minutes until porridge thickens. Add the spices and maple syrup to taste.
7. Spoon porridge into a cereal or soup bowl and garnish as suggested or desired before serving. See photo for details.
COOKING TIP: Have the garnishing ingredients ready to use before you cook the porridge. This will ensure that you won't have to exclaim, "This porridge is TOO COLD!"
PER SERVING (Not including maple syrup or garnishes)
Carbohydrate: 29 g
Fibre: 7 g
Sugars: 2 g
Fat: 7 g
Protein: 17 g
Want to print and share this recipe?
Simply click on the buttons below!
My kitchen is rockin' with recipes old and new!
Click to connect!
Thanks for joining me in my kitchen! Check out my blog posts to find out about the tasty delights I've been whipping up lately!
You may also like to...